Tips to save Facebook account from getting Hacked!

Wednesday, August 13, 2014

My Facebook account was not just a Social Media I use to be in touch with my Friends. It was a lot more to me. I was admin for 12 Pages and 4 groups. It was most likely a diary to me, with many Public and Private posts and photos. It was also a collection of my Likes and Interests, along with my Bio.

On 12th'Aug'14 at 3:22pm, while I was editing my Profile, which I often do, my account got logged out and said that the password was changed at 3:21pm. I had been logged-in since an hour and I didn't change my password.

Within seconds, I started the process of recovery but before I could reach out my friends for help on recovery of my hacked account, the hacker deleted my Contact details and the FB account itself.

If an account is hacked, You can always get it back with the help of your friends or the e-mail or phone number, you have specified in your profile. But if the hacker deactivates your account, you cannot get it back, until the hacker himself activates it again! (Which he would obviously not do!)

So, it was most likely a Dead-lock situation with no-way-out! If someone were seeking a revenge, then they can rest in peace now, for successfully causing this loss to me!

Many friends of mine tried to help me. But no use. I myself have read many blogs on net, but none could help me.
So, from my experience yesterday, I could derive a few things, which might help someone else in future, to not lose something they love!

1. First and foremost: Facebook WILL NOT HELP YOU out ever. We all know that they hold the highest number of accounts and largest user Database and supporting such large user base is very tough. But still, there should be some way to contact them with our issues. But unfortunately, there aren't any.

While going through blogs i found hundreds of people losing thousands of pages/accounts to hackers. Facebook never came to their rescue. Just like me, everyone else re-created a new account. After all, who would pay the cost of leaving FB?

2. DO NOT SIGN UP with Facebook credentials in every website you come across. Two days back i signed up into some Auto-like generator websites and today, i paid the price. So, never share your credentials to unpopular sites.

3. If you administer any Pages or Groups, its better to have at least Two admins. So that if either of them loses their account, their Group or Page will not be admin-less! Of course i read a case, where the hacker hacked an account and removed all the 20 admins in a minute, to claim the page! Still, we should take a chance.

4. Place 3 Trusted friends; Update your secret question and Update your e-mail address/Phone number. But do not keep them publicly visible. Always keep your contact details hidden.
If the hacker doesn't delete either of them, there are chances to regain your account. Of course in my case, he was a talented guy and changed every detail of mine in 2 minutes!

5. Follow this link, http://alturl.com/dw44f, if you ever lose your account or admin rights to a page you own. This is the ONLY WAY TO TALK TO Facebook guys. Other than this, there is no way to get their attention. [[After 3 days from writing this blog: As mentioned in this link, I could get FB support staff attention. After explaining them my problem and submitting some proofs like Pan card and Passport copies, I could get back my Hacked Account back, successfully!]]

6. There are many ways to show us, how can we hack a persons account. For exp, Blogs: http://virtualspotx.wordpress.com/2011/12/19/how-to-hack-someones-facebook-account/ or, hacking software's, like: 
But there aren't any to save us from getting hacked and losing our pages, groups and stuff. So, be careful.

7. DO NOT KEEP SAME PASSWORD for all your online accounts. Even if you do, keep changing them often. This way, you might just lose your one online account and that wont effect other mail accounts or bank accounts.

8. Optional : Do not depend too much on online accounts. Do not keep every detail of yours, there. I like to SHOW-OFF and generally spend hours, editing my profile. It really ain't that much worth! Also, the hacker might misuse your data in many ways.

So, keep off. Stay Safe. I wish no one will ever face situations like these.
If you are facing any... I wish you good luck to get back, what is rightfully yours!

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh, India
For every single detail on me: http://about.me/harsha.bhv
 

FB Like

Followers

Most Reading