Cricket - The Killer (of) Sport(s) in India

Saturday, October 6, 2012


I’m an Indian and like every other Indian kid, even i was exposed to a lot of cricket- on TV, on the grounds, on the roads and in the classroom. Cricket being considered a Religion in India... I have never had any option, but to enjoy it and admire it...!

It never felt ridiculous that the slow, languorous game that goes on for days together and a spectator wouldn’t have missed much, even if he missed out on an entire day of a game! No, I’m not here to curse test cricket and other forms; but 5 candid reasons why I hate this Gentleman’s game, are...

1) It was just too slow
I know many would argue that this is the very reason why T20 was introduced and arguments on those lines but still, there is too much of idle time. I can make pop corn, eat it, wash my hands, play a computer game and still when I come back, the bowler would be running in to bowl. All the tactics and field settings might increase the anxiety, but for me it just got too dull.

2) No Global Adoption
I wouldn’t consider a country a World Champion because they are the best amongst some 12 countries. Now, that’s the definition of being statistically insignificant. Yes, no one stopped the other countries from participating but the very fact that no one else decided to show up tells one that hardly anyone cares. Maybe India with its billion people is a main reason why it can still be considered a popular sport. I want to see more countries play this sport. I’m bored of the same ties.

3)  They Play It Too Often
Maybe because there are such few countries playing the sport, they keep on playing so that it gives an impression that everyone is playing cricket. The same two teams keep on playing each other all the time till they know each other so well that you wouldn’t be surprised the players paying visits to the opposition’s relatives.

4) Football is simply more interesting
Come on, let’s accept it. I was introduced to football and it just took the carpet off under my feet. I was thrilled. The through balls, the lofted pass, the perfect free kick, the sweet volley and the thundering bullet; all are very strong visuals. Short, crisp and to the point, football is a true global sport. Let’s play more.

Once you are into Football, and let it spread through your veins, you will never stop enjoying it.
It is being played by almost 170+ Countries, and that itself shows... How good it is...! :)

5) Hate it, as they Killed Other Games
Well, i accept that Indian Cricket team does perform well, and gives Indians the taste of Victory. But i seriously hate the Unanimous craze this game has, in India. I just hate the way people support this game, and doesn't care any other game in India.
*Hockey being the National sport is never cared.
*Football being the Sports King of the World is not Supported; and the players are not Funded. No Sponsors, no craze, no recognition, no support.
* Tennis was watched at a point of time, when Sania Mirza used to play. But not anymore.
* Badminton has gained some craze, because of Saina Nehwal; but even here, the story is same.
* Wrestling and Shooting have earned India some Medals and Respect in Olympics. People shared the News and Pictures, gave the players a bit of Applause... and soon forgot them :|

On the other hand, Cricketers are Highest Paid, Youth Icons, Celebrities and a Lot more...!
Come on yar... WTF...is this...?!?

I would just say.... ”Dear Cricket, you just weren’t sticky enough, and I hate the way you killed other sports in India.”

P.S. I still sit down for a India-Pakistan game for old times’ sake.
Also, i follow the matches in which, i might have a Bet with a Friend or two...
Just to see how i am Winning some money, or how i am losing some...! ;) :)

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh, India
For every single detail on me: http://about.me/harsha.bhv
 

FB Like

Followers

Most Reading